Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ever tried these?

So, I think we're going to cloth diaper with this baby. Of course, he'll be in disposables when he's a newborn, but the cloth ones should fit pretty soon (especially considering my babies are on the large side, heh heh). And I just may start Scott on cloth here pretty soon, too. I hear it's good for letting toddlers know they're wet in anticipation of potty-training.

I've been really intimidated by all the options (and expense! $35+ for a set of two fancy cloth diapers, plus the price of the flushable refills) out there when it comes to cloth diapers, but I think this doesn't sound too hard:

Old-fashioned pre-folds ($12 for a dozen at Wal Mart),


vinyl pants (also about $1 a piece),


and, instead of pins, Snappis
($2.50 a piece, but I think it's totally worth it to spend $10 and get 4 fasteners that I know won't pinch my boys).

And this way, if sometime in the future we decide cloth diapering isn't for us, we've only invested about $60 (instead of $1000, as some of my cloth diapering acquaintances have done!). And also, the cloth diapers can be re-used for burp cloths, so they wouldn't be a loss.


I may also try my hand at sewing some of these wool soakers. I'll have to be on the look-out for wool sweaters at DI and garage sales this summer.

So, anyone have any tips for me? I haven't started amassing the supplies yet, so it's not too late to tell me the pros and cons of cloth diapering, especially if you've had some experience in it. :)

7 comments:

*Aliese* said...

I don't know if you're acquainted with Anna (Sanders) Bergevin or not (she went to high school with Brandon, Brooke, and I), but she has made a few cloth diapers for way cheap and has a pattern. Maybe you could pick her brain? She's done a fair amount of research about how much money it saves, the pros/cons, etc. as well.

Heather said...

I don't have any experience... but I hope it works out well for you guys! I'd really like to try cloth diapers when we have a baby. There are some really cute and really expensive cloth diapers out there!!
A while ago I found a tutorial on turning prefolds into fitted diapers.

Jessie said...

I've heard really great things about cloth diapering, but I'm not nearly dedicated enough to do that just yet. Good luck if you do decide to try it. :)

Jessie said...

Also, this might be helpful? http://sewmuchado.blogspot.com/2010/03/guest-blogger-jenns-cloth-diapering-and.html

Samantha S said...

I don't know how the rest of your craftings have gone so far, but I have ...tons! of experience in making diapers and diapering stuff. In my experience, prefolds from the store aren't super absorbent, though they might work fine when your baby is first born. A better option is to make prefolds out of flannel, birdseye, or cotton fleece, all of which you should be able to find locally. There are a few free patterns for making fitted diapers (fern & fairie and ottobre come to mind), but my favorites are Hippy Hippy Snap ($5) and Little Comet Tails One-size ($12). I actually made my daughter all her diapers, then sold them when she potty trained and ended up making a little more than it cost me to buy the supplies in the first place. Profit on something she pooped on, not bad.... ;)

Feel free to email me if you want to talk diapers anytime! :)

Samantha S said...

P.S. This is Samantha! :D

Anna said...

So it's been a while since you posted this. You know what we're doing for cloth diapers. I like the bum genius style, but you are right, they can be PRICEY. Sewing them saved tons of money. There are a lot of options. Another way to make them more affordable is to look for people selling them on a site like KSL or craigslist.

Good luck.