Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cold-weather ideas?

Dear fellow mommy-bloggers and experienced moms who read my blog (and anyone else who may want to chime in on this issue),

Scott and I are going a little crazy staying inside all day. It's REALLY cold, snowy, and icy here in Idaho Falls, and there just isn't a lot we can do outside now that the little bit of green we had in the spring/summer is iced over.

I'm trying to find creative indoor activities for Scott. Clay, coloring, and books are all pretty popular, but he needs activities to develop his large muscle groups, as well. I notice him running in circles around our kitchen sometimes, just to get some of that needed exercise. Anyone have any ideas?

I don't mind driving somewhere, either...I just can't spend very much money. Please help--we're going stir-crazy, here! :)

8 comments:

The Henderson Family said...

When I am desperate to get the kids exercise at this time of year I either head to the mall, and let them play on the "playground" or I head to Mcdonalds - I get a drink and or a fruit/yogurt parfait and let him play while I snack and read. Sometimes I go to a store that is not busy like walmart (IE kmart, or shopko) and wander the aisles, allowing the kids to walk, instead of being stuck in the cart. I also used to spend ALOT of time with Nate at Scotts age building race tracks for his cars, off the couch or across the floor. We'd use books or boards or anything we could find. Good luck!!!!

Dave and Sharon Barrus said...

Good ideas, Henderson Family. We had a little mini-trampoline that really helped with the boys' need for "large muscle movement". Pillow fights were also popular. Wrestling. All those "boy things". Good luck!

*Aliese* said...

I remember being home with my mom and we would watch "Hooked on Aerobics" and do it together (KBYU...Those were the days...). You could totally find a random $5 workout video/DVD at Wal*Mart or something and do it together. OR--even more fun--MAKE YOUR OWN!

Jessie said...

Henderson Family has some great ideas. McDonald's and the mall are our two popular choices, too. Also, when I wasn't pregnant, I'd go to our ward's kickboxing group 2-3 times a week, which allowed the girls to run around the gym/nursery for that hour I was exercising... if your ward has something like that, great, if not--maybe suggest it (we even just worked out with a dvd several times--anything to get that bit of exercise in). I'd guess there are many others besides yourself looking for ways to get the kids some exercise and get out of the house. Good luck. :)

Steph said...

My ward does a play group weekly. In the winters they meet at the gym. You could try starting something like that in your ward. Also, Idaho Elite
Gymnastics holds an open gym for toddlers to 5 years old- Thursday
10:30-12:30. (The cost is $4.00 and you'd have to drive.)

Anna said...

Have you checked "Martha Stewart Kids" back-issues...or maybe some ideas on her website?

Good luck.

and congrats on baby #2, not too far behind our baby #1. Can't wait to hear if it's a boy or girl.

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

I saw the cutest idea a while back. Get a few buckets of snow and dump them in the sink. Put some gloves on him and let him play in the snow with anything you have around the house. I need to do this with my girls. I hate bundling up to go out there. If I think of any more I'll post them on my blog.

Erin said...

I Googled "games for toddlers" and found a bunch of great little games and activities for Celia.