Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Day 1

I have completed my first day as a degree-holding writing professional. Here are some things I learned:

1. Writing deadlines for magazines are almost humorous when compared to their counterparts in the newspaper industry. If I wanted, I could hammer out every assignment I have in a week, and I've been given over a month. I'm not sure how to deal with this yet.

2. It's nice having your own office. I work in a converted old-timey hotel in downtown Idaho Falls, so the offices of today were hotel rooms in 1945. I've got a washroom attached to my room... a bath used to be in there, but was ripped out sometime ago. It's fun. 

3. Harris Publishing is a really laid-back place to work. After being employed at "rah rah rah go get 'em don't stop until you drop" phone jobs for the past five years of my life, it's incredibly quiet. People just get their work done, no need for micro-managing or keeping track of stats. 

In short, so far, so good. I wonder if I brought up my ability to complete more work I could parlay it into a raise. 

3 comments:

Jessie said...

First day on the job and you're already looking for a raise... :)

*Aliese* said...

LoL I find it humorous that I was going to leave the EXACT SAME COMMENT as Jessie... Guess I don't have to now! :) I must also say though, that I definitely enjoy a workplace where things are more laid back too. I absolutely LOATH being micromanaged.

Dave and Sharon Barrus said...

Doesn't hurt to try...