Sizing up some cloth in the marketplace as Salome, wife of Zebedee. SotW, 2005I auditioned for "The Savior of the World" on Friday, May 2. It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment decision. I saw the sign-up sheet and, without consulting Brandon as I probably should have, signed my name in a slot at 8:03 p.m. The audition wasn't my best in that I messed up the words to the song (a beautiful one sung from the perspective of Mary the mother of Jesus from a show I did in September, "One Truth--He Lives!"), but my monologue went well. I chose a selection from D & C 76 bearing testimony of the Savior and his mission. It must not have been too bad, (or the Musical Director and Stage Director, both of whom I have worked with extensively, gave me the benefit of the doubt :) because I was called back the next day to read and sing for the role of Mary Magdalene.
At the sepulcher, preparing Jesus' body before the Sabbath. SotW, 2005The callbacks went pretty smoothly; I sang the song alright, although I've been feeling iffy about my voice recently due to nursing hormones. Hyrum (the stage director) asked us all to do our monologues that we had auditioned with and to change them slightly with direction from him. He had me go first, and I started into the scripture in D & C. Hyrum stopped me, and asked me to look out at all the seats in the Snow Drama Theater; he said, "I want you to see you son, and all of your children, and your children's children, filling the seats in this auditorium. Now I want you to speak that scripture to them." Well, that did it for me. Whatever professionalism I had left was gone after that. I bawled all the way through the monologue, but I sure was sincere. :)
Singing a joyful song after Jesus' resurrection. SotW, 2005I could tell that they were seriously considering me for the role of Mary Magdalene, because they kept only four women to read the scene between Mary and Joseph; I was one of them, and I knew two of the other women were being considered for Mary the mother of Jesus, so it was between me and another girl for Mary Magdalene. I read the scene with a guy I know from our ward; we'd worked together before in Opera Workshop (he played the Father when I played Hansel in "Hansel and Gretel"), so it went really well. Then, it was just a waiting game.
I went back at 9pm that night to see my name posted as playing Mary Magdalene. I am so excited, both to do a show again with Hyrum and to do this particular show again. I'm happy that the show is in a venue that is so family friendly (there are scores of kids in the production, so they're always running around :), so it's not a problem for me to bring Scott along. He sleeps in his carseat or his carrier or sling very nicely, and Mom gets to be onstage again! It's so great. You're all invited to come to the production; the dates are July 1-2 and 8-12.




2 comments:
Wow! That's so great, Mandi. That's nice you get to bring Scott with you. We'll put it on our calendar to come up to see the show. (It's one of our favorites.) Love you!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxxo
Yay! I am so there! Oh, and it's okay that you cried your eyeballs out during the monologue. I started bawling in front of a bunch of people I didn't know a couple weeks ago. It was humiliating.
Post a Comment