Wednesday, April 23, 2008

New semester


So I started my fifth consecutive semester of school on Monday, the latest in my string of six consecutive semesters I'll take before I graduate in December.

I'm taking nine credits total for Summer. Three three credit classes, all history related, as part of my history minor.

In addition, I'll be writing for the Scroll again, which is always something of an adventure. It's a one-credit class, and the staff actually meets every Tuesday and Thursday to do... uh... stuff.

See, I've only ever attended two or three of these meetings. Partly because of my "work 40 hours and take 15 credits" schedule, which hasn't allowed me to show up too often, and partly because I feel like it's a waste of my time.

Because I don't want to spend the time required to have a paid position, ie. editor, assistant editor, I work underneath someone who does have a paid position. Now, generally, the staff of each section of the paper meets at least once a week to give out assignments. At least that's what I hear

Last semester, I wrote for the Sports section. My editor just sent me assignments by e-mail or phone for the most part.

Tomorrow I'll show up to the Scroll class for the one and only time this semester, find a section to work for, meet my editor, then tell him/her that they'll never see me again.

Should be fun. I'm thinking I'd like to write for the Opinion section again. Maybe this time I can actually inspire some angry letters.

No comments: