Thursday, October 18, 2012

Adventures in Opera Singing


My first professional, fully-staged opera is currently running. There are two more shows, if you're in the Salt Lake area and care to catch one of them--Friday at 7:30 pm and Sunday at 2:00 pm. It's Verdi's Il Trovatore at the Capitol Theatre, tickets here (they're less than you might think).

There's nothing like getting to enter through the Stage Door to make you feel like a pro. :)

At my dressing table-before...
...and after wig, costume and make up. 

I love this job. Being in the opera chorus is the perfect balance for my busy life right now--I get to remain a presence in my field (notice I didn't say "relevant", but at least it's a presence :), keep up my chops, make connections for such times as I'll be able to build my career to something more, AND be artistically fulfilled. The work itself does not require a stress-inducing level of preparation, more of an enjoyment than anything else. And did I mention, I get paid for this? Love it. :)

Wigs are fun!

Gypsy girl. 
 I'm very grateful for the opportunity. Maybe that sounds trite, but I am. Heavenly Father knew how important this was to me (goodness knows I told Him often and fervently enough), and even though I still feel that my audition for Utah Opera was not the most professional (I tripped over some of the French in my stupid-fast aria), they still hired me. For all of their productions this season (doesn't happen for a lot of people in the chorus, I'm finding, so I feel very blessed).

Can you spot the baby bump?





Finding balance as a wife, mother, and woman is hard. I think we can all agree on that. I'm been so happy with the way my life is balancing right now, and the fact that it can include me performing professional opera. I will probably not be able to perform in the last opera I'm currently contracted for (that's The Magic Flute in April) because I'll most likely be giving birth during the bulk of the rehearsals, but I'm excited for Florencia en el Amazonas in January. Yes, I'll be 8 months pregnant. Yes, it's gonna be awesome.


Sister Barrus

5 months pregnant
And there's always next season.

1 comment:

*Aliese* said...

What an amazing opportunity-congratulations! SO COOL.