Monday, June 21, 2010

Yummy freezer recipes?

Yup, more nesting is in order, but I need YOUR help this time. That's right, I'm talking to YOU, readers of my blog (however few of you there may be :).

What are your favorite meals to freeze? I'm planning a couple lasagnas and a few different kinds of soup. What else is there? Help! Thanks in advance.

8 comments:

Jessie said...

I wish I had good ideas, but the only other things we've frozen are waffles and pancakes... which are easy enough to just make from scratch, too, so... I am terrible at getting dinner prepared and on the table in a reasonable manner--good thing I have Cory, who doesn't mind cooking, or eating a sandwich for dinner every now and then... :)

I can't believe you're getting so close--how are you feeling? Getting excited, I bet...?

*Aliese* said...

I wish I could be more helpful too...I've never tried doing my own freezer meals. However, I do have a recipe blog (all of which I have tried and make constantly-it's my "go to" when I don't know what to do). You're more than welcome to give it a gander! smallfryfoods.blogspot.com

Steph said...

We made these Stuffed Pizza Rolls that were pretty good. And there are lots of possibilities. We liked them filled with cheese, chicken, bacon, and pesto. http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/06/stuffed-pizza-rolls.html
My sister just got a book for freezer meals. I'll try to find out what the title is.

Jeremy and Sarah said...

Chicken Encheladas (sp) Take your 9 by 13 and lay heavy duty tin foil in it, then a layer of plastic wrap and set aside. Both the tin and plastic need to be really REALLY BIG....it will all come together I promise.

cook 4-6 boneless skinnless chicken breasts, shred them and put them in bowl

add to that bowl the following: 1 can of green chilies, minced and sauteed onion and garlic (as much or as little as you like) diced tomatoes and 2-3 cups cooked rice (I prefer brown rice)

Take a spoon and stir to combine all the goodies, then spoon the contents into tortillas, wrap and place in 9 by 13.

Then bring up your big pieces of plastic and tuck around incheladas. Then use the tin to seal it all in. Put the WHOLE unit in the freezer. Yes, pan and all, for 1 hour. After 1 hour take your semi solid "brick" out of the pan and keep in freezer. Now your pan is still clean and ready for another dish.

Your incheladas will keep for up to 3 months. When ready to heat them, take them out of the tin and plastic, place inthe same size pan as before. Cover with red/green sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 for 45 min. (Sometimes before covering with tin, I'll include a note card with baking instructions becase after giving birth a second time, you'll be lucky to speak english LOL)

Also, another idea to help...
stir fry your veggies and then freeze them in a heavy duty bag. Then all you need to do is thaw them while your rice or noodels cook.

Another idea, make meat balls and bake them. And freeze in freezer bag.

Somthing we like to do is make double when we bake bread. Freeze your bread. You can also soak beans and cook them in slow cooker. Then freeze those in a bag. Makes for easy tacos.

If chicken is on sale, buy a whole ton of it and mass produce chicken fingers. Take ranch powder, bread crumbs and onion powder and mix for a quickie homemade shake n bake blend. Sprinkle that on your chicken and lay on baking sheet. Bake those for 20 or so min unti chicken is done. Then you can freeze in small bags that contain just enough for a sandwhich, soup, or chicken on rice.

Also, a fun soup idea that does not need freezing is tomato soup. Take equal parts tomatoe sauce and milk and heat in pan. Goes great with some bread and cheese (or goldfish crackers Nummy!)

Hope I didn't wear you out with all those ideas. Those are things that I did before I had Reina. It was totally worht it! Good luck!

Brooke said...

We freeze pancakes, muffins, homemade freezer burritos, beans, rice, taco meat, chopped onions, and peppers (so they can just get thrown in things to cook and I don't need to prep those items.) Oh, and I make a huge pot of chili and freeze lots of that too. I like freezing just lots of items that are useful to have rather than like 3 of the same casseroles. But we LOVE LOVE LOVE having frozen whole wheat pancakes and muffins around because they make such amazing healthy snacks to throw in the toaster at a moments notice. Well the pancakes we throw in the toaster. Good luck!

Jessie said...

I saw this today and thought of you: http://www.amanda.fakeginger.com/?p=881
Maybe something in there will help? Good luck. :)

Jessie said...

And, sorry, but one last thing I do is buy a bunch of chicken on sale, and then put most of it in the crockpot to cook all day, then shred it and divide it into baggies with about 2 cups per baggie. That way we can just toss it into whatever sauces or sandwiches we want when we're ready for it. Makes for really great really quick bbq sandwiches. :)

Steph said...

Ok, here's the name of that book my sister got: Fix, freeze, feast. BTW, did I see you walking around the greenbelt on Sunday?