
So, as a slight update to my last post, I sang in another competition last weekend in Pocatello. The prize was money and the opportunity to perform with the Idaho State Civic Symphony. I sang in the beautiful new facility at ISU, and it was a joy to sing there. I got to pick the arias I presented, so I sang a lovely 20th Century one and my favorite coloratura, show-off aria from the Barber of Seville. This time, I sang up to my full potential. :) I just love singing those pieces, and I sang them well (not to mention that my coloratura is darn good, if I do say so myself), so I felt good about my performance, and also felt that I redeemed myself a little after my poor showing at the Met Competition. :)
I wasn't too worried about whether I won or placed or not. I mean, it would have been nice (especially the money), but the concert with the orchestra falls on my birthday (March 4), which also happens to be dress rehearsal for South Pacific, so that would be more than a little stressful if I had won. :)
As it happened, my good friend and fellow mezzo, Audrey Lambert, took home first place. My other friend, Lizzy, who also sang exceptionally well in the competition, and I were talking about how our pieces would be a little boring for the ISCS to play (they mostly showcase our voices while the orchestra just plays supporting chords), while Audrey's pieces (some Strauss, for one thing) would be really interesting for them to play. Not to downplay Audrey's performance at all (she really commanded their respect and has an amazing voice), but we all felt like we were neck-and-neck, without the repertoire consideration, and her more interesting rep gave her that extra edge. So all in all, I feel redeemed and like I got back on my game for at least one more competition before I take a slight break to prepare for baby #2.
That is, after I'm done with my Faculty Opera recital at BYU-I and singing the lead in South Pacific.
And teaching a couple more semesters of voice.
And possibly directing Idaho Falls Youth Arts Center's production of Seussical the Musical, Jr. this summer.
Yeah, I'm busy. :)




No comments:
Post a Comment