The next week, 3 weeks until Scott's big day, I was asked to sub in Nursery for two Sundays. So, for the past two weeks I've been in Nursery with Scott. I've gone in and out on little errands, and he's fussed for a minute but I always come right back. Last Sunday, Brandon brought him in, and Scott kept backing up into Brandon's leg and trying to cling to him. The Laurels watched the nursery while all the primary leaders went to the combined fifth-Sunday lesson, so Scott was only with me for half of Nursery last week; he was nervous about me leaving, but seemed to do OK while I was gone.
Does this always happen? Nursery is Heaven to Scott, but the closer he gets to 18 months, the more wary he is of being left there. The great contradiction. *sigh*
So, we'll see how he does this Sunday when I drop him off and leave him. Anyone have any tips for reducing the trauma of being dropped off at Nursery? There's one little girl in there who just cries for her mom for the first hour, then has a snack and cries off and on for the next hour every time she sees the door or remembers that her mom isn't there. Poor thing! I don't want Scott to have to go through that.




3 comments:
I bet he just needs a couple weeks to adjust, and then he'll do great. He seems independent enough, and there are lots of distractions--just give him a couple weeks, and be willing to let him do it on his own, too. Don't jump in there every time he wimpers--it is a change, and it might take a little time, but he will learn to love it, I can almost guarantee it.
Now that I said that, I need to remember to do the same for Janey... we'll see how that goes, I guess. :)
Hooray for nursery!
Seriously... when parents said "I'll stay here for a little bit with them, so they don't cry." I would tell them... heck no, just leave. They will be fine in a few minutes. And 99% of the time, the kid would cry for 5 minutes and then would play fabulously for the rest of the time! Seriously, just let him get used to it!
Post a Comment